Coho Technical Committee
The Joint Coho Technical Committee reports to the Southern Panel.
The Committee is responsible for:
- Evaluating the effectiveness of management actions;
- Identifying and reviewing the status of Coho stocks;
- Presenting the most current information on harvest rates and patterns on these stocks, and developing a joint database for assessments;
- Collating available information on the productivity of Coho stocks in order to identify escapements and associated exploitation rates which produce Maximum Sustainable Harvest;
- Presenting historical catch data, associated fishing regimes, and information on stock composition in fisheries harvesting these stocks;
- Devising analytical methods for the development of alternative regulatory and production strategies to meet objectives set forth by the Commission; and
- Identifying information and research needs, including future monitoring programs for stock assessments.
The Committee also carries out a number of other activities to assist the Southern Panel including; overseeing the exchange of pre-season expectations and post-season estimates of Management Unit-specific mortalities in the fisheries of each Party; overseeing the exchange of information regarding the conduct of mark-selective fisheries, including estimates of interceptions of mass-marked hatchery Coho, as may be requested by the Southern Panel; and developing regional Coho pre-season and post season evaluation tools and protocols to provide a consistent means of evaluating the cumulative impact of U.S. and Canadian fisheries on Management Units and stocks of conservation concern.